Paleo Reese’s Eggs

Paleo Reese's Eggs

20140416-081607.jpg

Yields: 10 eggs

• 1/2 cup sunflower seed butter (or other nut/seed butter)
  • 2 1/2 tbsp coconut flour
  • 2 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 cup Enjoy Life chocolate chips (or dark chocolate chips)
  • 1/2 tbsp coconut oil

Mix together sunflower seed butter, coconut flour*, maple syrup, and vanilla until well combined.

Divide mixture into about 10 equal portions, and use hands to roll each into an egg-like shape.

Place on a baking sheet or plate lined with wax paper and put in freezer to harden.

While eggs are in the freezer, melt chocolate chips and coconut oil together (I did mine in the microwave, using 30 second increments and stirring until completely melted, but you could also do this on the stove over low heat). NOTE** I recommend melting chocolate in a coffee mug or similar cup instead of a larger bowl so that it is easier to cover eggs in one easy dip.

Remove eggs from freezer after about 10-20 minutes and dip in chocolate to cover completely using a toothpick.

Allow excess chocolate to drip off of eggs by lightly tapping the hand holding the toothpick with your free hand before placing back on parchment paper.

Place chocolate-covered eggs in the refrigerator to set completely before serving.

Enjoy!

(Store in refrigerator).

*You may need to adjust the amount of coconut flour you use in this recipe depending its density and the consistency of the nut/seed butter you choose. The mixture should be easy to shape, not too runny and not too crumbly, so adjust coconut flour amount accordingly (I used Sunbutter brand sunflower seed butter and Bob's Red Mill coconut flour).

• Preparation time: 10 minutes

Comments

1. says

I’m so very sorry for the loss of that cute lil nugget. It does suck and it is worse than losing a human because humans for as much as they try not to, love you with some conditions/judgment. Dogs love you because you are AWESOME even when you yell at them or scold them for being bad. I’ll tell our little girl to show her the ropes up there. ;-)

Reese eggs won’t heal a broken heart but this version sure will help!

((HUGS!))

2. Kerrie Hutchinson says

Hi, sweet Taylor, I am so very sorry about Poco. It hurts big time. Thoughts and hugs {{{{{{TAYLOR}}}}}} from afar off in Texas this morning.

The recipe looks great; can’t wait to try it!

3. Sally Casner says

So sorry about your dog it does hurt so much.
    Not to lessen your loss, but congratulations on your internship. I am a Dietary Supervisor for our hospital in town and I know how hard those internships are to get.
    We need good RD’s out there go get em.

4. Kyla Cody says

Oh no. Dogs are like like children in my family, and in the past few years we’ve lost a couple to old age soI know how hard it is. So so sorry to hear about the loss of your nugget!!

On a light note… Holy I need to make these and have them in my mouth right meow.

5. Elizabeth Barrios says

I’m about to say goodbye to my dog of 13 years. I feel your pain right now. So sorry to hear that you had to say goodbye to your dog! :(

6. says

I am so sorry for your loss, Taylor! Losing a pet is never easy.

But in other (happier) news, these eggs are MUCH easier to make than I thought they would be! I just might have to whip these up on Saturday!!

7. says

Taylor you are awesome! I happened upon your website a few months ago and made your bacon wrapped eggs with spinach for the Olympic hockey playoffs as they looked like hockey pucks! They were a huge hit, everyone loved them and both our men’s and women’s hockey teams won GOLD medals! Yes, I am Canadian. Yes, we love bacon. Who doesn’t? Since then I have made a number of your recipes to rave reviews from both my kids and my husband. In a house where there is a dairy allergy, sensitivity to gluten and peanuts and no cane sugar allowed, it is a challenge to find and make delicious treats. Every single recipe from your muffins to cookies and lemon squares (which I have just made again for a huge family gathering this Easter weekend) have been Gold medal winners. I just spent hours looking for no sugar added foiled covered chocolate Easter eggs so my son can partake in the annual Easter egg hunt this weekend to no avail. No one has them. They are full of nasty ingredients anyways but it was a way for him not to be left out. Then I happened to see your facebook post and tears literally formed in my eyes. Thank you. I will be making these instead and they will be so much better and healthier too. You are cute as a button and I absolutely adore you and your website. Thanks for sharing and keep creating all of these incredibly delicious treats. My son and I are used to being left out, looked over and passed by and often miss out on all of these traditional yummy treats – especially during special occasions. Now everyone gets to enjoy them and they’re better than ever. We are able to be inclusive and show others how to be too. Birthdays and holidays are so much happier and healthier and everyone can eat ALL the food. My son is almost 12 and I am much older than that so we are mature enough to say no and abstain at family functions and community events. But it is so much nicer to be able to say yes and be included. Thank you for making “YES” happen more often in our house. Since discovering your blog, I have gone from barely baking to making something every week and more often as it’s eaten so quickly. My kids and their friends love all of your recipes. You rock. I wish you, your family and your community a very happy Easter weekend. We still have snow where I live, but the crocuses and daffodils are starting to poke through and bloom and Spring is almost here!

8. says

Sorry about your loss. =(

Super congrats for your match! I remember the same anxiety when my wife (she’s now an RD) was waiting to get matched for her dietetic internship. She wanted Univ. of Tennessee and she got it. It was so stressful for her, and for me too, so I know the relief you feel now. My Dad is a Buckeye so kudos to you all around!

And this recipe will be made before Easter, looking forward to it!

9. says

I seriously can’t wait to make these babies!!! They look so delicious, reese’s eggs are my ultimate favorite!! :)
    PS, I’m sending you huge hugs over your loss my friend. I know she’s in heaven gnoshing a big bone that’s 10x her size :) Love you girl <3

10. Laura says

Thank you SO MUCH for this recipe! It’s amazing and helps so much with not buying the Reese’s eggs now with it being Easter time. Thank you!

11. Aubrey says

Do you think I could use almond flour and get same results? Would I use the same amount? Really looking forward to making these!!

• says

I’m not sure an exact amount but I think it could work! I would suggest mixing the other ingredients first, then adding small amounts of almond flour at a time until you get a constancy that you can easily roll. Good luck! :)

12. Aneliya says

Thanks for the nice recipe! I doubled all ingredients so now we have a lot of these :)
    Next time I’ll try substituting the coconut oil for cocoa oil as it stays hard on room temperature and so the chocolate covering won’t melt easily.

13. Keisha says

Thanks for the recipe Taylor. I was perusing the internet for yummy paleo treats and stumbled across your website – so glad I did. I just made these and they could not have been any easier to make. I totally forgot to add the coconut oil but, they were’t that difficult to make without it. Just wanted to say thank you, and to keep doing what you do!

Trackbacks