Banana Cream Pie Bars

Banana Cream Pie Bars

20140401-095051.jpg

Yields: 8 bars

• For the crust:
  • 1 1/2 cups almond flour
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2 tbsp sunflower seed butter (or other nut butter)
  • 1 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • pinch of sea salt
  • For the topping:
  • 1 can coconut milk (left in refrigerator over night), only use cream on top, do NOT include water/milk left behind
  • 1 ripe banana, mashed
  • 1 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • Additional banana slices for topping

Combine all crust ingredients until a crust-like texture forms.

Press crust evenly into the bottom of a bread pan.

Whip together coconut cream, banana, maple syrup, and vanilla until all ingredients are well-combined.

Spread topping evenly over crust.

Top with additional banana slices.

Place in freezer for 1 hour.

Cut into squares and enjoy!

Store in refrigerator.

• Preparation time: 15 minutes
  • Cook time: 60 minutes

Comments

1. Brooke says

Hi! This looks fabulous. Banana ANYTHING is good to me! This might be a dumb question, but just thought I’d ask; You don’t bake the crust first? I was just curious how the texture would be without baking it.
    Looking forward to making this. Nom nom nom!

2. says

Good luck! I would be terribly stressed all day! I’d probably end up baking a ton of things to pass the time and then trying not to stress eat all of it. I’m sure it will all work out, but I’ll say some prayers for you :)

Oh and that post on your Facebook the other day was hilarious! Love it!

3. says

I’m so excited about this recipe! I just did my own post on what to do with ripe bananas (I linked to your fudge sunbutter bars -yum!) Anyhow, I was sad because I still had one ripe banana left that I didn’t want to waste. Problem solved!

4. says

Just wondering if you could share the brand of coconut milk you buy/use? A picture of the label would be really helpful. I’ve bought Thai Kitchen unsweetened, premium, first pressing can of coconut milk – however, I’m not sure it is the right one because when I opened it, there is no “cream on top” – it is all solid – no liquid part! So, I figured I didn’t have the correct kind. Any advise would be appreciated so I don’t waste another can. Thank you.

5. says

I totally had to pay in money – extreme sad face! And Juli’s story?! Freakin’ amazing. I’m suppose to get a kitten as a grad gift from my boyfriend…but it hasn’t happen QUITE yet. And I agree – surprise coffee from the BF would be amazing…or anything from CF wishlist…

6. says

This recipe just made my day! I can’t wait to whip these up over the weekend…and then devour them before I challenge myself to a Whole 30 on Monday ;)

7. Kaylee says

Would a full can of Trader Joe’s coconut cream work for this? Or would we only use half of a can due to no milk/liquid left behind?

• catharine says

Kaylee — did the coconut cream work for you — 1/2 a can? Thinking about using this over coconut milk.

• Kaylee says

Catharine– I have not tried it yet. I plan to whip up a batch of these by the end of the week though, so I’ll let you know!

I have another question.. Do you know if using TJ’s almond meal would make much of a difference in comparison to fine almond flour?

• catharine says

I used coconut creme and it turned out well! I think the thicker consistency of the creme worked in this recipe’s favor.

One observation, though: I made these bars one day in advance, and I would say that these keep & present better right after you take them out of the freezer. Overnight, it got a little watery along the bottom of the plate since I’d cut them into bars. They were still tasty, just not as clean as I’d hoped!

8. Courtney says

Is the nut butter in place of an oil/fat for the crust? Just wondering if I could use coconut oil with the right result?

9. katie says

HeHe got this in the freezer right now, an hour is too long to wait lol. It was so quick to make, the hubby made the base while I made the topping :) thanks for the recipe. I used vanilla paste in the topping just because I think it looks pretty x

10. Susan says

These were amazing!!!! My husband got fanatical about them. Gone… Thank you for a well thought out recipe. By the way, I had bananas (over ripe) in the freezer to use in the topping, then a fresh one to slice. Blended in food processor for a super creamy layer. All thumbs up :)

11. Kristin says

Thoughts on what to use instead of almond flour? I’m allergic and coconut flour doesn’t usually do the same.

12. Carin says

This may be a stupid question; but, how big is the pan you used for these to yield 8; or, approximately what size squares are these? I’m trying to figure out what pan I have that might work. Thanks!

13. Melissa says

darn it!!! I just saw these and am starting a Whole 30 tomorrow…I am pretty sure these would count as SWYPO even if I left out the honey :)

14. Wendy says

Would this work in an 8×8 pan? Can’t picture how you’re getting those square slices from a typical 8×5 or 9×5 inch bread pan.
    Also when using just the cream only from the one can of coconut milk, exactly how much is that and will it be the same amount from every can of coconut milk?
    Thanks

15. Bekah says

Oh. My. Goodness. These look amazing! Totally making them for Easter!
    I’ve never used coconut milk before- should I know anything about separating the cream from the liquid or is it pretty easy?

• says

I used an 8×8 and it was the perfect size. =)

This is what my final looked like: http://i.imgur.com/Eiqn2cB.png

I ended up cutting it into 16 small squares … because somehow I think smaller squares will make it seem like I’m eating less … I’m certain the remaining 13 squares are not going to make it for very long…

16. says

This is DELICIOUS!!! I know when I’m looking at reviews, I’m looking for someone who made it and isn’t just in aw of the photo or the possibility … lol

This is the PERFECT solution for a sweet tooth and the flavor is not too sweet at all! Warning to anyone who is not a fan of coconut milk flavor: you will taste the coconut milk fat in the filling. For me, it’s absolutely delicious! The texture is great too! The texture reminds me of a chewy bar – very yummy. I highly recommend this recipe and I will definitely be making these again! Thank you for sharing this awesome recipe!

17. Julia says

I made these last night and they were amazing!! Today I made the crust recipe and threw in a handful of raisins. Then I rolled them up into small balls ans flattened. They are the most yummy “cookies” I’ve ever had.

18. Marjorie says

Made these last week & they were amazing. I was wondering if you could make this with lemon instead of the bananas? I still have tons of lemons on my tree. Any thoughts on how much lemon to sub for banana?

• says

Not sure how well lemon would work since the banana adds some volume and creaminess to the filling. Have you tried my Lemon Bar recipe? :)

19. Lori Ann says

Hi I was just wondering if you recommend storing them or how to store them? Or do you just think they are best served shortly after preparation?

Trackbacks