Oatmeal Minus the Oats

Oatmeal Minus the Oats

20130804-200037.jpg

Yields: 1 serving

• 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 4 egg whites (or 2 whole eggs)
  • 2 tbsp flaxseed
  • 1/4-1/2 banana, mashed
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • cinnamon to taste

Bring almond milk to a boil.

Turn heat down to medium-low and mix in egg whites, stirring frequently.

Once the mixture starts thickening, add flaxseed, banana, vanilla, and cinnamon, continuing to stir.

Continue cooking until the egg whites are completely cooked through and the mixture has a "porridge"-like consistency (about 10 minutes).

Top with fruit, nut butter, chocolate chips, nuts, etc.

• Cook time: 10 minutes
  • Total time: 10 minutes

Comments

1. says

I’ve done something similar to this before, although I start with mashed banana, blueberries, gelatin, then mix in the egg; off of heat mix in chia. YUM! Thanks for sharing, I want to try your version :)

2. says

I highly recommend getting LASIK when you can afford it. My script was something like 6.75 in one eye and 7.5 in the other. I couldn’t even tell if people were 1 or 2 people, or male or female without my contacts. My parents paid for my LASIK as a college grad gift because I could no longer get contacts to correct me to 20/20 and since I play a lot of volleyball, I couldn’t wear glasses all of the time (plus how thick the lenses would be). Also, I’d be going on my own insurance and the “special” lenses and glasses are expensive! I had to have it done again 10 years later (PRK this time), but since they purchased an “insurance” on the surgery the first time, any “touchups” are free for life. I would have it done every year if I had to – it’s amazing!

3. says

OMG this had me rolling! Thanks for such a great post LMAO! I just had oatmeal and do most mornings (even tho I know it’s not good for me). I couldn’t emagine this could be good reheated? I just throw a bag together in the morning and boil water at my desk for the oatmeal. I need something that can be done like that. I like my pillow way too much in the morning to get my butt up and cook me some breakfast lol. any thoughts?

• triggs122@yahoo.com says

I have actually made it a few hours ahead of time and put it in a thermos to take with me to school. Not the same as eating it right away, but not bad!

4. Bailey says

I used to be a big oatmeal lover too but have not had it in months because of paleo, do you know of a good substitute for bananas? Im allergic to bananas……lucky me.

5. Krissy Birge says

Hmmm, I’m a – 9! Even when they condense my lens for glasses it still looks like coke bottle bottoms. And somehow we would always go to lunch after the dilation appointments. Reading a menu, yeah right?!

6. says

Yum! I love oatmeal without the oats but I make it minus the flaxseed so I call it a sweet scramble. My favorite way is with banana, chopped apple and lots of cinnamon! Apple Pie Sweet Scramble topped with pecan butter and fresh apples, so good!

7. Kaitlyn M says

You crack me up! I am only 23 and I am also legally blind (practically). I am -7.0 but I haven’t been to the eye doctor in almost two years and I feel as though I am just about -7.5. It totally sucks! I have also been told that I can’t get specific frames because the lenses will have to be so thick they will touch my face. Glad to know I am not the only one out there!! Anyways, thank you for all of your recipies! They are amazing.

8. TJ says

This looks so good! Especially since I’m on the 21 Day Sugar Detox and I can used a green tipped banana in it :) Just curious if you have ever used coconut milk instead of the almond? I only have coconut milk and would love to try it. Thanks!

9. Claire says

THANK YOU FOR THIS RECIPE!!!
    I have been contemplating actually trying going paleo for a while, but I am obsessed with oatmeal. I eat it every day. It was holding me back. Now I am going to try this and see if I can stand parting with oatmeal. I’d been looking for “noatmeal” recipes on instagram but I trust you as a source more than anyone else, so perfect timing.
    :D

10. Katie says

I was wondering if you used milled flaxseed for this or whole flaxseed? I’ve never bought flaxseed before and while at the store got a bit confused, so I just grabbed the whole seed one. I guess I can grind it down in the food processor if I need too…Looking forward to making this!

11. Marina says

Thank you for this! Its awesome!!! Ive really missed my oatmeal in the morning. I have been eating this everyday for the past week. It’s absolutely delicious. I top mine with diced apples and walnuts.

12. Dani says

Thank you for this recipe! I’m with you… oatmeal is one of my favorite breakfast foods. Unfortunately every other Paleo recipe for N’Oatmeal is loaded with nuts and lots of good fats but not high enough in protein. And to be honest, my body doesn’t tolerate a bunch of nuts in one sitting. Those recipes are WAY to heavy for me in the morning. This is great! I look forward to trying it!

13. JudyL says

I found your website through Recipe Girl’s facebook post about the sweet potato brownies, which I’m certainly going to try. I’m not paleo, but I am diabetic & have been looking to paleo recipes to help clean up my eating.
    I have a question on this oatmeal – is there something I can substitute for the flax, like quinoa, chia, or something? I can’t eat flax at all, it doesn’t like me! But I love oatmeal & haven’t been able to eat it since I was dx with diabetes!
    Thanks!

14. Ashley says

Has anyone tried making mulitple servings of this at once and storing in the fridge for a few days worth of breakfasts? Wondering how it keeps and re-heats?

15. Crystal says

This was super egg-y and I followed your directions exactly. I constantly stirred and ended up with chunks of eggs. Hard to get down.

16. Emily says

Thanks for the recipe. It’s definitely a keeper! I forgot to add banana the last time I made it, but it was still delicious!

17. Marcie says

@ Crystal, l in order to avoid the egg chunks, you need to add hot liquid to the eggs, not the other way around. First thing I learned in Home Ec in 1970. Put the eggs into a small heatproof bowl (like a Pyrex mixing bowl or a 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup) and slowly stir in some of the hot mixture. Doesn’t have to be a lot, just enough to get the eggs thoroughly mixed and the same temperature as the rest. Then stir the eggs back into the main mixture in the pan and finish the recipe as instructed. Use this same technique any time you need to add eggs to hot liquids in a recipe and you’ll never again have stringy egg chunks to swallow!

Trackbacks